ResedaWeb.blog

Everything Reseda-esque... sporadically published news, trivia & links about the neighborhood and its neighbors

_________ A CIVIC BLOG

20050323

They may or they may not know who ...

VOX POPULI: Looking for some public input into her role in an upcoming mayoral candidate debate, columnist Mariel Garza of the Daily News set off to find some informed voters and found one, in Reseda.

Leaving the newsroom on Oxnard by Canoga, that her path went exactly this way is only a guess: Exit DN parking lot, right turn and right turn to go north on Canoga to Starbucks at Victory. Caffeinated, it's a right out of the parking lot she heads east; hitting the various landmarks ("stopping at places where "regular" people were doing regular things") until she did a U-turn, or left onto Etiwanda, at the One Generation Center, by Reseda Park.

Then back west to the 7-Eleven at the corner (:::::Ed.note-- 30' behind where this was shot.:::::)where a teacher from a high school in Reseda satisfies her quest but not in a fulfilling way. The final part of her column picks up with:
Most people couldn't name the mayor or wouldn't talk to me, making me suspect they didn't know either.

"I'm not selling the Daily News," I told one older man who gave me the same stink-eye that I frequently use on door-to-door solicitors. "I write."

Then I spied a party of senior citizens crowding around concrete tables in front of a community center on Victory Boulevard, playing cards and backgammon. Perfect. Retirees tend to know more about local politics than everyone else.

"Can I talk to you gentlemen for a moment?" I asked of one foursome playing cards at one table. "Sorry, sorry. No English." Apparently, I had picked a gathering of Arabic-only speakers. Only in L.A. :::::Ed.note-- There is an Islamic Center directly across the street.:::::

The only bright spot came during a stop for gum at a 7-Eleven on Reseda Boulevard. I asked the tall gentleman behind the counter if he knew who the mayor of L.A. is. He shook his head.

"You don't know who the mayor is?" a customer asked me, pityingly. This teacher from Cleveland High School was the first -- and only -- person on this random quest to want or be able to talk intelligently about the mayoral race. Then he delivered the blow, "but I don't vote here."

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Garza once mentioned this blog in a story on blogs and because it's the Daily News, it was a story on secession blogs. Remember secession?